Caching Name: minpin
Real Name: Kathy Saturday
1. How did you become involved in geocaching?
It’s a family sport! My brother got involved with geocaching in 2004. He tried to get me involved. I looked at the information, but never went out for a find. Then, my sister visited my brother in 2006 and he took her out caching. When I visited my sister for Christmas took me out caching and I was hooked. I’ve been a member since 2007.
2. How did you choose your caching name?
My caching name comes from my dogs. They are Miniature Pinschers or minpins. So I used that as my caching name.
- 3. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, and puzzle, virtual?
I like the traditional hides, especially those in the woods or other natural setting.
4. Which caches were the most challenging, either physically/mentally?
The difficult puzzle caches are challenging for me. I would rather be outside in nature than spend the time required to solve some of these mindbenders!
5. What are your current geocaching goals?
I do geocaching for fun, so I try not to set too many goals. I’ll probably try to get to the next thousand, 7000, this year.
6. Where have you always wanted to go caching but haven’t?
I’ve cached in 22 states; I’d like to cache in the other 28!
7. What is your most memorable caching experience?
I found a dead man while I was caching at Horsey Pond near Laurel, DE on my first day of retirement! That is something I will never forget. The guy had committed suicide and had been out in his truck near the pond for 10 days. I was trying for a multi-cache near the pond and came across him. This is an experience I wouldn’t wish on anyone! At least his family and the police were able to get some closure on his whereabouts as a result of this encounter. And I didn’t even find the cache that day!
8. What do you like about geocaching?
I like getting out in nature. Geocaching has taken me to some very interesting and very beautiful places that I would have never visited otherwise. I also enjoy talking with other cachers and attending events.
9. Do you have some favorite caches in the area?
Well, the Horsey Pond multi (GCD3C9) is one I will always remember! Your Key to Cache (GC3DYYT) was certainly a big hit with me. No Panda’s Here (GC15M76) was a real adventure. More recently, the New Lite Pole (GC4Y7MQ) gave me a good laugh.
10. Do you have any other hobbies or interests?
I am a singer and perform with the Diamond State Chorus, a local Sweet Adelines Chorus. I am an avid cross stitcher. I like working in the yard and playing with my dogs.