Caching Name: Forbez
Real Name: John Forbes
1. How did you become involved in geocaching? I found out about geocaching with the first car gps that we bought in 07 that had some preloaded. We never found it and forgot about it for a few years until while involved with Boy scouts as a leader and during summer camp they were offering the merit badge. After summer camp that year while on vacation and sitting on a beach I downloaded the app and have been hooked ever since.
2. How did you choose your caching name? My name came about as a nickname from a pirate canoe trip from when my kids were younger and in karate we were known as El FORBÉZ
3. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, and puzzle, virtual? I enjoy all types of caches, especially those that we can find. I am not terribly fond of earth caches as sometimes there is just so much work involved.
4. Which caches were the most challenging, either physically/mentally? The most mentally challenging caches to me would be some of the puzzles we have done. I didn’t get into this game to solve puzzles as even though I spend a lot of my time troubleshooting I’m not much of a puzzle solver. I think over time we have learned some good tricks. Some peoples puzzles I just don’t think I’ll ever understand.
5. What are your current geocaching goals? My 2017 goals are to finish my d/t grid a third time, to finish the Space2081 series that I have been working on for some time now and possibly fill my Jasmer grid.
6. Where have you always wanted to go caching but haven’t? I can’t say there is anywhere I have really wished I could go to go caching as I enjoy caching were ever we go.
7. What is your most memorable caching experience? This is a hard one to answer as we almost always turn an outing into an adventure and have fun making memories. There are great memories of epic caching trips or those of caching mishaps of getting vehicles buried in mud or puddles deeper than I care to admit, or run-ins with snakes or nasty bugs. We have even had fun times while sinking kayaks.
8. What do you like about geocaching? The best part about geocaching is the community of cachers that I have become a part of. I have met so many great people over the years whether at the many events I love attending or just through outings to go caching. We have made many friends that we have met through geocaching that we do things together outside of caching and I can see us being friends for years to come.
9. Do you have some favorite caches in the area? I can’t say that I have any favorite caches as there have been so many great ones along the way, and some not so good caches.
10. Do you have any other hobbies or interests? My other hobby is riding my motorcycle, so when I can combine the two of them then all is right with the world.