Caching Name: MDPlayers
Real Name: Karen and Ashley Skipper
1. How did you become involved in geocaching?
Karen: I was at a Girl Scout Volunteers Training camp weekend and one of the classes was Geocaching. I was instantly hooked after taking that class. Ashley is just along for the ride I think. But he’s recently gotten interested in creating some gadget caches.
2. How did you choose your caching name?
The teacher of the class I took was MD(something). I decided to follow with ‘MD’ for our home state of Maryland and ‘Players’ just because we are playing a game.
3. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, and puzzle, virtual?
I like anything except the difficult puzzles. I don’t have the time for them. I like simple field puzzles though. Ashley likes traditional caches small size and up, no micros unless they are near a cool site to see.
4. Which caches were the most challenging, either physically/mentally?
Karen says CAM 2009 – Hoye Crest (GC1NKTA) cache was physically difficult for us; we are flatlanders for sure. What a climb and the view is well worth it.
Ashley says it was Rapid Cache (GC1E44) in West Virginia. It’s a terrain 5 (boat needed) and the water was low when we were there. The cache is up the mountain side.
5. What are your current geocaching goals?
No real goal except to cache when we can and have fun doing it.
6. Where have you always wanted to go caching but haven’t?
We haven’t really thought about it. We just cache when and where we can.
7. What is your most memorable caching experience?
We were doing the long since archived 20 Feet Concrete (GL1B5V66) cache at the old hatchery in Elkton. The water was frozen and our son skipped a rock over the ice. Wow! What a cool sound that makes. It is something we still talk about.
8. What do you like about geocaching?
It’s been a great excuse for getting outdoors together. I love a long walk at a State Park with a few caches to grab along the way. It has also been fun to learn about some of the historical sites around DelMarVa that we’ve seen only because we’ve been caching.
9. Do you have some favorite caches in the area?
GL87C0PH Mares eat oats
GC1NC7D Lums Hydilea
GC3DYYT Your Key to Cache
10. Do you have any other hobbies or interests?
We are both involved with Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, Ashley is a fisherman, and we camp. We’ve been doing at little kayaking lately and having a good time with it.