February 2016 – Cacher of the Month
Caching Name: oboegary & delaware hiker
Real Name: Gary Walter & Joyce Pellam
- How did you become involved in geocaching?
After losing several pedometers, Joyce was given a Garmin by Gary with the information that it could be used for other things. Two weeks later, we found our first geocache in Bellevue State Park about a mile from our house.
- How did you choose your caching name?
Gary uses his email name with another hobby. Joyce picked one that would tell her love of hiking.
- What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, and puzzle, virtual?
Our favorite is traditional (small or large size), but we enjoy virtuals especially when traveling. Just got Cully Long’s Puzzles book, so may be doing more puzzle caches.
- Which caches were the most challenging, either physically/mentally?
A few of WVTim’s gadget caches have stumped up mentally. Doing geo-art in the Mojave Desert (CA) in August at 113°F was physically challenging and maybe crazy.
- What are your current geocaching goals?
To get more good caches in places we haven’t been. We have a streak going >240, but that’s just to keep us outside and motivated.
- Where have you always wanted to go caching but haven’t?
We need 4 of the 50 states and would also like to cache in Europe.
- What is your most memorable caching experience?
Caching along Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica over 2 weeks. We even saw hostanut and MikeOtt’s names on several logs in Missouri. Small world…
- What do you like about geocaching?
It takes us places that we wouldn’t have known about. We mostly cache as a team, so even when you’re having a bad day, you set it aside and work together. We also love to take our grandkids and the kids of our friends.
- Do you have some favorite caches in the area?
Come out and see the Stars (night cache) GC4CJG5
Any of the Billy Bob Caches GC22PCB, GC15JKV, GC10B7Q
Scale of Geo-Justice GC4P3HJ,
- Do you have any other hobbies or interests?
We both play in community orchestras: Gary plays oboe, Joyce plays bassoon. Gary’s other hobby is photography. We keep a log book and print a photo from every cache. We’re on book #23
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink